Sunday, March 15, 2009

Standing at the edge of the abyss that sits in the exact centre of me, I sway....shocked as a wave of deep anger and hatred bursts from the depths of that bottomless pit.
I feel it as it consumes me...the bright flames burning as they twine around me like a snake. The light reaches the very edges of my mind, showing me the demons hiding in the shadows as they crawl closer; attracted to the scent of burning flesh.

For an instant, I open my arms, ready to welcome them...ready to embrace the deep pain and cruel revelations they bring. Hoping that for once I would lose myself in the darkness and turn my pain into the wails and cries of others. Yet, before they touch me, a door in that endless corridor flies open, its black depths welcoming...promising a respite.

I take it.

With all the force of my mind, I banish the flames deep into that door. I brick up the door as frantically as I can, even as other bricked up doors begin to rattle. Soon, the air is filled with a teeth-rattling chaos of sounds. Shoving the final brick into place, the sounds begin to subside. Slumping to the floor, I wait as the sounds slowly disappear, muffled once again by the layers of brick and mortar...as the demons crawl back into the shadows; waiting for another chance.

And there is only silence left...silence and an unbearable loneliness.

Sitting there in the dark, I stare once again at the black depths of a hole that seems to have always been there. And I wait...because there is nothing left for me.

No comments: